Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Application 2 - GAME Plan

Below is my GAME plan for two International Society for Technology in Education.


My first standard I would like to strengthen is  “customize and personalize learning activities to address students’ diverse learning styles, working strategies, and abilities using digital tools and resources”  (International Society for Technology in Education, 2008). 

Setting Goal
  •   I will find a tool that will allow students to determine their specific learning style and then use it to focus individually on the students as they are working with assigned activities.

Actions
  • I will seek out a teacher that already performs a learning style test to see what information she already has.
  •  I will research online tests and the information that is provided to students once the test is over.
  • I will have my student take an online learning style test.

Monitor
  • Have I completed my action steps?
  • Have I taken time to have the students perform the online test?
  • Have I reviewed the results myself?
  • Have I reviewed the results with the students?

Evaluate
  • Once completed, did the students feel they had a better understanding of the ways they learn?
  •  Were students able to take their information and apply it to the different activities they were to work on?
  • I will focus on extending my learning by determining which activities best support my students individual styles.
  • I will rely on the student’s responses to evaluate how effective it is to work through the learning styles test and if it assisted them with learning about ways to study for their math class (Algebra I or geometry). 


My second standard I would like to strengthen is  “communicate relevant information and ideas effectively to students, parents, and peers using a variety of digital age media and formats” (International Society for Technology in Education, 2008).

Setting Goal
  • I will begin to work with Edmodo and determine is usefulness in comparison to the Wikispace I already use to share classroom information and notes.

Action:
  • I will research how Edmodo and Wikispaces have been used within my district, as well as outside my district.
  • I will implement Edmodo within at least one class.

Monitor
  •  Are students using Edmodo?
  • Are they using the communication features that are set up with each other?  – much like Facebook.
  • Am I using Edmodo to the best of my ability?
Evaluate
  • I will determine which way students prefer to receive their information.
  • I will determine which way parents prefer to receive classroom information.
  • I will extend my learning as I become more aware of what Edmodo can do with communication of notes, files, and connections between students and the teacher.


References:
International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). National education standards for teachers (NETS-T). Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/standards/nets-for-teachers 

Danielle

3 comments:

  1. Danielle,
    In both of your goals I like how you are going to use the work of your colleagues and district as a model and example for what you are trying to do. This gives you a great basis of comparison and action in your own goals. I also appreciate how you focused your goals on specific skills and technology that you would like to try. It is clear that you have a certain direction that you want to take with your goals.
    When you pose the questions under evaluation will you record your answers to those questions? A journal as a type of “field notes” could help you to think through what you are doing and what might need modification could be beneficial. I think you have done well with thinking through what questions you might need to ask yourself during the process of integrating this new technology.
    It seems that you want student and parent input in both of your goals when it comes to your evaluation so how do you plan to achieve that? I would suggest something like surveymonkey.com or a take home survey so that parents can be involved. Students could do the same type of survey even before the learning styles test to see what they might be. As an extension students could react to the results of the learning style test and also a react to how you are addressing their unique learning style in your class.
    I look forward to see how your GAME plan progresses. I need to learn more about Edmodo myself so that was a great suggestion for me to look deeper into that technology. I will be looking into it to see if there are also some practical applications for my classes! Thank you for your blog post!
    Jenny Carroll

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny,

      Thank you for your reply.

      My "field notes" will have to be some type of journal, yet I am not a big writer so it will be very basic. I typically keep a Word file for anything that I need to document (different documents for everything - student interventions, technology reflections, evaluation documentation) on my class computer/flash drive, therefore my journal will probably be set up the same way.

      I too have thought about surveymonkey or a Google doc to see student and parent feedback. I would be able to send the link out to both through our school e-mail system very quickly and easily.

      Thanks again.

      Danielle McDonald

      Delete
  2. Suresh,

    Thank you for the information, but the website you linked to is under construction. It says it will not be undated until next year.

    Danielle McDonald

    ReplyDelete