Sunday, December 16, 2012

Reflection


Another class down – So much learned.

Working through my most recent class this past seven weeks has been very enlightening.  I feel as though this is one of the few classes that I finally have seen several websites and extra pieces that I can integrate into my classroom. 

As I focus on my original GAME plan, I realize I have fallen short but also made significant gains.  I fell short in that my second goal never really got off the ground.  This goals was to be able to individualize for each student their preferred way of learning material.    On the other hand, I was able to start an Edmodo account, have my geometry classes sign up and submit one assignment.  I am still trying to work on setting up discussion groups, getting parents signed up online, and posting files for my everyday lessons but things are moving along.

I do accredit getting so much work done already to the fact that I HAD to do it for grade school.  I had to be able to produce something.  So many times I say I am going to do something, but then I find something else that needs to actually get done.  Setting up a plan, implementing the plan, and reflecting on the plan did help me move along towards my end result. 

 At this point, Edmodo will continue to be my focus.  This summer, after completing my program, I will focus on learning styles and develop something around it for Algebra I and Geometry.

 As I continue to complete my degree, and even after, I will continue to use problem-based learning, social networking/online collaboration, and some digital storytelling.  I see the benefits now more no than before for PBL.  It gives a reason for the students to begin to learn the material.  It takes away the “why must we learn this?” questions.  The thing to remember is that the question is key (Laureate Education, Inc., 2010).  It must be wide enough, yet still guide the students.  I must have check-ups that allow for me to keep directing the student’s understanding. 

For social networking, I realize it is a lot easier for students to stay in touch through it compared to teachers (even though I am only a few years older than my students!).  As mentioned before, I will keep the Edmodo site.  I am also searching for a site that allows students to type in math symbols and such – and it not be too difficult/time consuming.  This is something I can do in Word, but it takes a while to setup and type in. If any one knows of anything, I would be willing to look over it. 

Finally, digital storytelling went over very well in class.  Though, it did take time.  As I tell students, everything we learn becomes a tool in our toolbox.  I greatly appreciate the idea of digital storytelling, but at this time it does not fit well into what I am doing.  I must keep the idea of ‘quality of work vs. just because it is cool’ in my head.  Some technology just works better with certain concepts.

Resources:
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010). [Webcast]. Assessing student learning with technology. Baltimore: Laureate Media.

No comments:

Post a Comment